Two Cafes and a Walk

7:59 PM Tuesday 17 March 2009


My little laptop computer is getting a real workout over here. I use the heck out of it. Back home I had two other computers to share the load. My main desktop was the power hitter (faster, more RAM, large hard drive, real video card) and my little Shuttle computer was a great bunter (it was just easier to keep Itunes on it for syncing with my Ipod - Apple needs to do some serious re-thinking on ease of use and migration of music libraries to other computers). Windows XP is noticeably slowing down and my laptop is running hotter - I just peeled off my shirt from the heat on my lap. What I need is a pinch hitter. Probably my sons computer. Hope my laptop lasts for one more season.

I don't know what's up with the baseball metaphors...

Argh... my touchpad and keyboard just conspired against me. I had to re-type the last paragraph.

With some time to kill before the dry cleaner opened at 9 am, I hit one of the loal cafes, La Brioche. It's just around the corner, across the street from the carpet store. The staff is very friendly, if not perky. Gazing at all the fresh baked goodness, I chose an "Opera" which is a multi-layered, coffee and chocolate cake. It went great with my black coffee. Having several cafes and restaurants within easy walking distance, is one of the perks of living in a city again.


You can just see the yellow canopy of the cafe above.


For lunch I stopped at another cafe. It was a cafe day for me. The above image is from inside the second cafe. It was slightly smoky, tolerabley so, and quite dark inside (I had to tweak the image to see the detail). The dark atmosphere was a relief from the heat outside. I can only imagine how hot, hot is going to become in the months to come. Looking at the menu, I chose something light - a Greek salad. Even though my salad was missing olives, the Feta cheese was spectacular. While I don't have the name of this cafe, I did listen to one of the staff (manager?) lecture an impatient customer with a "take away" order. She told him not to be in such a hurry, that he needed to learn how to slow down, relax and enjoy life. Really.

As you can tell by now, I took my camera with me on my walk. I had the camera in manual mode, so I could easily adjust exposure to compensate for sun and shadows. There was a lot of sun today. The picture below, of the guys in the truck, is here because they honked at me to get my attention to take their photo. So here it is (the image is larger than usual so you can see their faces better).


No pool action today. Yesterday, I hit the pool twice, and used the gym upstairs for the first time. There is some good equipment in the gym. Great for isolating muscle groups - which I did. Said muscles are still a bit tight and sore today. So doing more than walking was not on my list.

Not much exciting or interesting to share today. Except for the guy who tried to sell me a suit out of the trunk of his car (nothing fit). I managed to capture 217 images with my camera before the batteries were exhausted. I recommend using rechargeable batteries, which I do. Far cheaper in the long run, and they last longer than alkaline batteries.

Best.

Comments