Sore and Tired Feet

8:37 PM Thursday 5 March 2009


(Photo of the Killer Bricks)

It's finally, finally, official - Sunday is a holiday in honor of the Prophet's birthday. The date moved around a few times last week, but it has been decided that the private sector and public sector have Sunday off. Private sector would include expats like my family, so we get to spend a three day weekend together. Time to make some plans.

You'll have to excuse the quality of the photos, again, I used my cell phone camera. Now that I have my real camera with me, it arrived yesterday, I plan on taking better photos around the area.

This morning I explored east, along Hamdan street. I found a large bookstore, a small mens barbershop, and crossed a couple of major streets on foot. Crossing streets can be exciting and dangerous. Two guys, in no big hurry, and not paying attention, were almost run over in front of me. You really must pay attention to the traffic here. Watch the street lights and watch what the other pedestrians are doing (as in standing on the sidewalk and NOT crossing on the road). Green means GO here (I have to admit, that the drivers did honk their horns, while acting like they were trying to run those guys over).

After a light salad for lunch, I headed west over to Spinney's. The parks along the Corniche are being fertilized, so the smell of manure was strong during that walk, and stung my eyes. At either end of the park, you could smell shisha from the cafe's, so it wasn't all bad. In one of the photos below, you should be able to see part of a brick sidewalk (and a bag of manure). Most of the city sidewalks are made of geometric red brick, with beveled edges. They look attractive, but are murder on my feet - the bricks with beveled edges are the worst (see Killer Bricks photo at top).


For my first walk I wore my light hiking shoes, for my second walk I wore my Merrells (the best walking shoes I own) and after both walks, I switched to my light Crocs. My dogs were burning after the second walk - walking on that brick just wears me out.



It was a bit overcast for most of the day, so not a great photo day. Soon I'll have the perfect weather for some stunning photos of Abu Dhabi.

Until then, "M'a sa-laama-a" (go with peace).

Comments