It's Wednesday so it Must be Thursday

7:47 PM Wednesday 11 March 2009

Thursday is Friday in the UAE - because Friday is Saturday and many companies take Friday off. Since it's Wednesday, it's Thursday. Maybe I had too much sun this morning. I do have a bit of that shiny, lobster glow about my face tonight. It was perfect swimming weather today, again. The swim goggles help and I'm getting more of my wind back. As a kid, I used to swim constantly. Feels good to be swimming again.

I resolved to have my hair cut today. It was time. So, where to go? One of the places I picked as an option is, New Wave Saloon. Over here, barbershops are called saloons. When I checked this saloon out last week, they looked clean, professional and approachable. So there it was, my decision made, I went to New Wave Saloon. When I arrived, one of the barbers was playing a mandolin. Really. And he's quite good. The other barber was available and sat me at his station. The easiest instruction I could give him was, "take half off". He replied, "you want it short?" "Yes." This was my first time hearing clippers accompanied by a mandolin. Very relaxing.

The cut was well done - "short" as asked for. A hair-tonic/antiseptic was applied afterwards (I like, I like) and then I was given a good scalp massage. Finished by some gell to my remaining locks. After, I asked for a card, and found out that the mandolin player is the owner. His name is Bassam Samara. Nice guy, with some gray in his hair like me. The hair-cut cost 90 dirhams, maybe a little high, but about what I'd pay back home with tip. I'll be back.

It's interesting how computers facilitate communication. Though I'm half way around the world from "home" I'm still able to interface with friends and family. Even when the news is not all good. While checking Facebook today, one of my long-time friends started a chat session. She had bad news about a co-worker, and needed to talk about it. I won't go into details, but we had needed conversation, back and forth about our lives. I'll have her friend in my prayers tonight.

That's all tonight. Best to all.

Comments