Hands Free on the Roof

9:18 AM Tuesday 3 March 2009

The apartment is all hard surfaces, painted concrete walls and tile floors - creates an annoying echo when talking on the phone. After seeing my son off to school, I went up to the roof to call my mom on my cell. Great reception up there. I had to turn down the volume on my ear-buds to speak with her. All is well at home. Cold and windy of course. I counted 52 large cranes in the city while I was speaking with my mom. 52! And that's only from one side of the building (some buildings have more than one crane on them).

It looks like another beautiful day in Abu Dhabi. Sunny, with a light breeze - as long as the breeze is gentle, the dust should not be a problem.

While I was on the roof of the apartment building, I met Bassu. Bassu is one of the apartment security guards, he is from Nepal. He said that Nepal is a "too beautiful place" with mountains, rivers and cool weather. He's working here for two years, earning money for the family at home. He says he's from a poor village, so he could not bring his wife and son with him. He misses his wife.

That's my morning. I'm off to find a shop called "Spinney's." It's a good hike from here - I'll check the map before taking off.

*update: 2:47 PM
I had a very good walk to Spinneys. The sidewalk is wide along Al Corniche. My side is next to a couple of parks - so plenty of Palms to shield you from the sun for most of the walk. There are also two cafe's on either end of today's walk - both had people smoking shisha (smelled like cherry). There is also an under road walkway to get to the beach side of Al Corniche. I may check that out tomorrow (certainly a much safer way to get across the road).

"M'a sa-laama-a" (go with peace).

Comments