A Full Day


10:39 PM Friday 27 February 2009

As I sit here typing, the aroma of smokey apple shisha lingers.

Today was a full day.

While smoking shisha in the desert with Mohammad tonight, he was one of the drivers in our safari, we exchanged words in Arabic and English. "Moi", is the Arabic word for water. "Ram l", (sound like Raman), is the Arabic word for sand and "qam-ar", is moon.

Mohammad does not speak English, but he told me to walk barefoot in the sand and I will become strong. He said he loves to sleep in the sand. Tonight he will sleep in the sand.

"M'a sa-laama-a" (go with peace).

Today was a full day.

I decided to add the following link below, which has some cultural information about smoking shisha and the water pipe used. Tobacco has become such a negative subject in many of our modern cultures, I felt some explantion was needed.

This was my first experience with shisha and I found it pleasant and not at all like other tobacco products. The act of smoking shisha is a social one. Mohammad and I had a very relaxing and enjoyable conversation together, two strangers, from two different cultures, not knowing each others language. A conversation which never would have occurred if we had not been smoking shisha together. Interesting.

http://www.smoking-hookah.com/editorials/History.asp

Comments